For Dean on their Semi-Anniversary
Sep. 18th, 2015 07:02 pmCastiel is not certain if this is weird or not.
Generally, when he has such thoughts, he is being weird and he knows that he has an actual anniversary in only a matter of weeks but he wants to recognize this day.
7 years ago (according to his timeline, anyway), he announced to all that could listen that Dean Winchester was saved. 7 years ago he gripped him tight, raised him up and took buckshot to the chest in response to what he would later understand was not an appropriate introduction.
7 years ago thousands of years of certainty and glory were made to pale in comparison to 7 years of frustration and fear and overwhelming love.
This day at least deserves a pie. He expects Dean home soon and has prepared a meal that he suspects will be a surprise given Dean's tendency to be late to dinner on the nights Castiel cooks. He has followed the instructions of a startling looking, heavyset woman he found on the internet to the letter and a veritable feast of fried chicken, mashed potatoes and apple pie awaits. It is horrifically unhealthy and Castiel is certain he'll have to sneak pureed vegetables into Dean's food for at least the next month.
He has much to discuss with Dean aside from the significance of this day but he is very pleased to take a moment to acknowledge what they have been through, together. Ernest winds impatiently through his legs as he ignores him in favor of walking to the front door, listening to the sound of Dean's imposter car roll up the driveway. He enjoys watching Dean return to their home.
Generally, when he has such thoughts, he is being weird and he knows that he has an actual anniversary in only a matter of weeks but he wants to recognize this day.
7 years ago (according to his timeline, anyway), he announced to all that could listen that Dean Winchester was saved. 7 years ago he gripped him tight, raised him up and took buckshot to the chest in response to what he would later understand was not an appropriate introduction.
7 years ago thousands of years of certainty and glory were made to pale in comparison to 7 years of frustration and fear and overwhelming love.
This day at least deserves a pie. He expects Dean home soon and has prepared a meal that he suspects will be a surprise given Dean's tendency to be late to dinner on the nights Castiel cooks. He has followed the instructions of a startling looking, heavyset woman he found on the internet to the letter and a veritable feast of fried chicken, mashed potatoes and apple pie awaits. It is horrifically unhealthy and Castiel is certain he'll have to sneak pureed vegetables into Dean's food for at least the next month.
He has much to discuss with Dean aside from the significance of this day but he is very pleased to take a moment to acknowledge what they have been through, together. Ernest winds impatiently through his legs as he ignores him in favor of walking to the front door, listening to the sound of Dean's imposter car roll up the driveway. He enjoys watching Dean return to their home.
no subject
Date: 2015-09-19 02:49 am (UTC)"Did we order in?"
no subject
Date: 2015-09-19 02:57 am (UTC)"I can cook, now. I can follow recipes. I made you chicken and potatoes and pie. A restaurant did not make you those things."
no subject
Date: 2015-09-19 03:08 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2015-09-19 03:22 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2015-09-19 03:28 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2015-09-19 03:42 am (UTC)"I was surprised, it seems like longer but regardless I felt sentimental about it. And as per usual, guilty for leaving you in that coffin."
no subject
Date: 2015-09-19 04:00 am (UTC)Sticking close, Dean holds his beer, eyes going fuzzy as he thinks. "Is it seven for me? Could be eight." He shakes his head. "All that weird time and dimension stuff messes me up, but the date's right." Dean grins. "Should I stab you again?"
no subject
Date: 2015-09-19 04:09 am (UTC)"But our second meeting did inform me on how not to approach confused humans so the stabbing was very helpful in that sense. Sit down and I will bring you your food."
no subject
Date: 2015-09-19 04:45 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2015-09-19 04:55 am (UTC)He sets Dean's down before grabbing his own, smiling as he sits across from him at their sturdy, second hand table.
"I love you. Happy freedom from perdition day, Dean Winchester."
no subject
Date: 2015-09-21 03:10 am (UTC)"I have an elaborate fantasy built around you eating fried food."
no subject
Date: 2015-09-21 03:15 am (UTC)He takes a careful bite, watching Dean for signs of excitement.
no subject
Date: 2015-09-21 03:23 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2015-09-21 03:39 am (UTC)"Are you screwing with me? It's not funny, Dean. Feeding is a real and disturbing thing. People get enormously fat as a result and they have sex surrounded by greasy food."
no subject
Date: 2015-09-21 03:46 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2015-09-21 03:53 am (UTC)"Plus grease stains are nearly impossible to remove without the power of my grace so it is probably best not to rely solely on that."
no subject
Date: 2015-09-21 04:01 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2015-09-21 04:05 am (UTC)"I'm now uncertain whether I should even introduce the pie into this situation," he murmurs, offering up a napkin. "But regardless I did want to talk to you about something."
no subject
Date: 2015-09-21 04:08 am (UTC)"I don't want to stuff you with fried chicken," he grunts. "What's the thing?"
no subject
Date: 2015-09-21 04:15 am (UTC)"I think I am finally grasping what Rukia had been trying to tell me, that while my grace is fading to a degree with each year I am here, there are ways it can still be useful aside from simple healing while it is still strong," he says slowly, trying to ensure he communicates this as well as he can.
no subject
Date: 2015-09-21 04:22 am (UTC)"Exorcising so that the human lives is no small thing," he says, "But that's always been the case. Why is this a big deal now?"
no subject
Date: 2015-09-21 04:27 am (UTC)"She said it was possible where she was from for some. And things here are so different from our reality. We have friends who are werewolves and ghosts that we do not send onward. Do you think there is any merit to trying to heal something that wasn't born a monster? That didn't choose it?"
no subject
Date: 2015-09-21 08:49 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2015-09-21 08:55 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2015-09-21 09:44 pm (UTC)He pushes his plate away, too. "Every one."
no subject
Date: 2015-09-21 10:58 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2015-09-22 04:36 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2015-09-22 04:45 am (UTC)"And I'm very aware of what demons are and what they are capable of. I have fought through hell and lost brothers to them more than once. But that spirit, that child is not the same thing. We could help him. We both have extraordinary power. We could change the way things have always been done."
no subject
Date: 2015-09-22 04:50 am (UTC)Dean folds his arms across his chest. "Spirits pass on because they're supposed to, there's a reason that's the way it's always been done. It's natural, Cas."
no subject
Date: 2015-09-22 04:58 am (UTC)"This place is different. I've never encountered something like Rukia was in all my years. I think there are things here that weren't possible where we came from. And there have always been rumors about cures for vampires and werewolves and who knows what else. I'd never given them any real thought but what if they were true? What if I could offer another option?"
no subject
Date: 2015-09-22 05:04 am (UTC)He lifts a hand, carding it through Castiel's hair. "Vamps, wolves - some of them are born that way," he says. "You can't 'fix' something that never got broken."
no subject
Date: 2015-09-22 05:12 am (UTC)He closes his eyes at the feeling of Dean's hand in his hair, so grateful for him it hurts.
"I wouldn't offer it to anyone who didn't want it. And I promise, Dean, no demons. I promise you."